[3830] CQWW CW EA8/K1LZ SOSB/10 HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Dec 2 18:05:23 EST 2014

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: EA8/K1LZ
Operator(s): K1LZ
Station: EA8/K1LZ

Class: SOSB/10 HP
QTH: ea8

   10: 3210    37      132

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

This is my first time operating from Canarias Island. My initial intention was
only to check the QTH, because we have some plans with Alexey RA1A to jointly
establish a contest station on one of those islands. I really went there to
check the location and we planned with Alexey for me to operate single 10m and
Alexey to operate single 15m . My mindset before I went to the island was that
the condition of  this QTH to be the same as the station like D4C or ZD8O, and I
will challenge the record for 10m but this was not the case. On 10 meters, the
band was open only for 12 hours a day and in total of 24 hours for the duration
of the contest . At the same time CALL like EA8/K1LZ is so long and difficult to
understand that it doesn't help me to have good rates for the short period of
time I had.
Everything was wonderful until we set up the beams in the air, and immediately
we got hit by a storm which destroyed our camp and tents. We did total FD type
of operations with generators and temporary setup. The wind was up to 100KM/H.
Fortunately the antenna all survived, but we had no place to operate from. I
want to say special thanks to Alexey and a few local guys who did amazing job
by setting us up on an enclosed cargo truck. This was where we operated, and
this was where we slept.
Anyway, I didn't break the record, but I accomplished my mission. I established
a relationship with amazing local people, and most importantly now I am sure I
have a partner, Alexey. Also, I am convinced this is a beautiful QTH for my
next adventure. So you guys might see a good station there in the near future.