[3830] CQWW CW ZM4T(@ZL3IO) M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Dec 2 21:56:26 EST 2014

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: ZM4T
Operator(s): DJ7TO ZL3IO
Station: ZL3IO

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Kiwi-DX-Lodge

  160:    2     2        2
   80:  244    25       48
   40:  864    29       86
   20:  891    32      101
   15: 1077    34      106
   10: 1460    31       85

Club: Bavarian Contest Club

Comments:

Equipment:
2 x K3, KPA500
3L10m, 5L15m, 2 x hexbeam 10-20m, 80m vertical, 160m inverted L

Fantastic conditions and fantastic pile ups.
Congrats to ZM1A for their great result!

We watched RBN most of the time and wondered why we were hardly ever spotted
during the whole first day while the network was flowing over with ZL-spots for
ZM1A, ZL2AL, ZL2ST, ZL3TE, ZL2B. Later we found the issue. We sent "test
ZM4T ZM4T" as our call and "test" was sent at a faster speed
than ZM4T. The faster speed obviously limits the skimmer to identify this as a
CQ call and us as a calling station. Setting it back to the same speed solved
the problem and helped to get found! Other than this it is the old story.
Contesting from the southern most end of the South Pacific means either no rate
if you're not spotted or a super rate once you're visible on the cluster.
Hunting multipliers over 12000-18000 km and coming from 90 degrees to the
multipliers beam direction as in most of our cases is very challenging.

Another operator would have been helpful to have the multiplier station
operated for more time. We had the house full with (non-HAM)guests which kept
me away from the station for some times.

73 and thanks to all for the QSO's

Holger, ZL3IO/ZL2IO/ZM4T