[3830] CQWW CW G9W(M0DXR) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Dec 3 08:34:40 EST 2014

                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: G9W
Operator(s): M0DXR
Station: G0DWV

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: Norwich, UK

  160:  269    12       45
   80:  679    18       66
   40: 1089    30       89
   20:  956    33       91
   15:  920    30       97
   10: 1032    36      102

Club: Chiltern DX Club

Comments:

A couple of years ago I learned that Chris Danby, G0DWV, had plans to build a
substantial station in Norfolk. Since then, I have seen him select a property
with a couple of acres and build a very impressive station. He’s a great guy
and allowed me to give it a testing in the CQWW CW contest last weekend. He has
installed a pair of C31XR yagis, stacked, with the lower fixed on W6/W7 and the
top one rotatable at 80ft. A week before the contest I travelled up to help
make the final (or what we thought at the time were final) assemblies of the 4
element 40m yagi (previously owned by G3NUG). Chris spent many many hours
trying to get this beast to work, and finally had bingo hours before the start
of the contest on the Friday evening. It was 3-4 s units better than a dipole
at 80ft. 80m is a 4 square with elevated elements, and 160m is a top loaded
vertical. The shack houses an IC-756 PRO3, Explored 2k amplifier, microham
keyer and a very well configured antenna selection system with two large
monitor screens for logging. The fact that I did not have SO2R capability meant
that my strategy had to be different to be competitive �" a lot of mult
searching.
In terms of performance, all bands were very impressive. Signals were
remarkably strong, with several USA stations hitting +60db. I knew my main
competition was Dave, G4BUO who was giving it some up at M6T. Interestingly,
his best rate hour was not only the same hour as mine but also the same QSOs
made! I was a bit disappointed with myself for having to give in to tiredness.
After Friday at work, I drove up to Norfolk and by the time everything was set
up there was only time for 2 hours sleep before the start. So, I took another 2
hours sleep during the contest at 06z on Sunday (it was planned to be 30 mins
originally but was extended!). This worked out well and I was able to continue
for the remaining 16 hours with no problems. The biggest issue I found was
aches developing from sitting in the chair for so long.
Conditions were awesome. Some very fine runs to the USA, and lots of JAs made
it in to the log. There were times when I ran the two C31XRs in power split
mode which allowed USA and Far East/EU to be worked at the same time on 20m.
The only technical issue encountered was a relay issue with the 80m 4 square. I
could only select NW and SE. Therefore, missed a lot of South America and Asia
mults on this band.
I was well looked after by Chris and Tina. Regular coffee service and even take
aways throughout the weekend! The people that allow their stations to be used
for my enjoyment is truly astonishing. What an amazing group of friends. I owe
so much to these guys.
I hope you all managed to have fun. There seemed to be a lot UK participation.
Great job by Dave at M6T �" so nice to have competition. The P3F guys,
what a score! Lovely to work 3B8MU, where my WRTC team leader and his crew
were. Always found G5W and G2F when tuning around. MA0XAU was nice to find at
the top end of 10m! My PIQ was loud and efficient as always. Trying to remember
other UK guys... ah yes, PJT �" thanks Bob! There are so many more, but I
was probably half asleep 
Good luck in 2015 all, and see you in the contests: VHF and HF!
73,
Mark M0DXR / G9W