[3830] ARRL 160 W1WBB Single Op QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 7 10:24:45 EST 2014

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: W1WBB
Operator(s): W1WBB
Station: W1WBB

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: W1

Total:  QSOs = 253  Sections = 49  Countries = 0  Total Score = 24,794

Club: CT RI Contest Group

Comments:

*Non-assisted* QRP operation.  All QSOs made in 'S and P' mode.  First-time QRP
effort in ARRL 160m event for me.

Appears the new assisted categories certainly created bigger pile-ups on the
rarer sections, DX and 'fresh meat' ops.  As QRP op I had to move on from
certain desirable CQ'n stations I stumbled upon who had a crowd gathered, and
would try and return to them later.

Very quiet 160m band with good NA propagation first night allowed me to work
all sections east of Mississippi River except MAR, NL, NNY, PR, SFL and MS.
Eight sections worked beyond that line including exceptional RX/TX stations
K7CA -UT- and of course N7GP -AZ- .  In addition, excellent ops in SD, IA, MO,
AR, NTX, STX and KP2 worked my 5 watt signal.  Later, MAR was worked Sat.
afternoon and multiple NNYs contacted that eve.

Thunderstorms off NC coast produced much QRN here Sat. night and band condx
became disturbed, so 2nd night was tough and slow going...having worked most of
the big sigs thru Day 1 and trying to be heard amongst the 2nd/3rd-tier stations
and remaining 'alligators'!  Slightly fewer than half as many QSOs were made on
Day 2 and only two new sections...1st contact after wake-up Sunday AM from NN4X
-SFL- with FB sigs/ears at 1000Z and then a *very* patient KV0Q in CO 45 mins
before my S/R -- TNX!!

All USA sections outside W6/W7 were heard except KP4.  VO1HP was easily heard
CQ'n late Sat. afternoon but stopped abruptly, and was never heard again - not
sure what happened.

Always nice to work familiar contesters on the Topband.  Many thanks to so many
who hung in there thru QSB, QRN (and QRM) to complete our contact!

Icom IC-706 MKIIG @ 5 watts; TX/RX 3/8 wv Inv 'L' (and 18 mostly short gnd
radials) with vert radiator < 40' up; MFJ-929 tuner/watt meter; N1MM
Logger+; hand-generated CW with Vibroplex Deluxe iambic paddle(!).

73, Bill W1WBB