[3830] ARRL 160 K8CN Single Op QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 7 10:32:27 EST 2014

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: K8CN
Operator(s): K8CN
Station: K8CN

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: NH

Total:  QSOs = 51  Sections = 26  Countries = 0  Total Score = 2,652

The best part about having an utterly ridiculous antenna for 160 meters, and
operating QRP to boot, is that every QSO is a small miracle to be celebrated
and whatever time I can put into this contest is pure pleasure. Thanks for your
patience to all those who copied my faintly whispering signal through several
repeats!  Only DX heard here was KP2 on Saturday night, and furthest west U.S.
station heard was N2IC.

73,
Mike, K8CN
Durham, NH

Rig: K3 @ 5W
Ant: Lazy-H, cut for 20 meters, fed with ladder line through a Johnson
Matchbox; to use it on 160 meters I set the Johnson Matchbox band switch on 80,
set the capacitors to mid-range, and disconnect the coax shield from the K3 to
the Matchbox input, thus treating the whole mess as an end-fed wire.  Amazingly
enough, the K3's internal ATU can bring the SWR right down to 1.0 with this
bizarre arrangement.