[3830] ARRL 160 W1NN Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 7 19:30:56 EST 2014

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: W1NN
Operator(s): W1NN
Station: W1NN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: OH``
Operating Time (hrs): 8
Remote Operation

Total:  QSOs = 545  Sections = 72  Countries = 4  Total Score = 83,752

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

I operated my station in Ohio remotely from Tokyo where, due to the time
difference, this is mainly a daytime contest which starts at 7 AM Saturday
morning.  Although this is an easy contest to operate in this fashion, I could
only put in 8 hours as there were other things on my plate and I thought it was
not in the best interest of domestic tranquility to put in a full effort in a
contest the weekend after doing so in the CQWWDX.

There is only so much one can do on Top Band with 100W and a dipole at 45' but
for the first few hours rates are great and it's fun to watch those mults add
up.  I missed OK, ND, HI and AK for WAS, and in addition could not find PR,
LAX, SB, SF, NL, SK or NT.  But it was easier than usual for me to be heard in
6- and 7-land, so conditions must have been pretty fair.  Not much DX heard but
what I could hear I could usually work.  But if you are a DX station trying to
operate this contest it must be pretty discouraging to try to find a run
frequency amidst all those CQing US HP stations.  Wouldn't there be more DX for
all if there were a 10 Khz portion of the band where no W/VE stations were
calling CQ?

I hope to put in some time in the SP later in the month.

73, Hal W1NN