[3830] ARRL 160 W4IX SO Unlimited LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Dec 8 08:36:27 EST 2014

                    ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: W4IX
Operator(s): W4IX
Station: W4IX

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: SC

Total:  QSOs = 843  Sections = 76  Countries = 5  Total Score = 138,024

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Soapbox : I had to leave early Sunday morning for a business trip to Tuscon, AZ
so I only had limited time to play. I ran the first 12 hrs of the contest (
Friday night ) until 1000Z when things were just so slow and everyone on
skimmer was a dupe so I pulled the plug. Started up at 2100Z Saturday and
things were extremely slow for a couple hours...picked up just a little at
darkness but I knew I had to leave soon so I just picked at skimmer until
everyone was a dupe and pulled the plug. So I had 700 Q's in 12 hours and 143
Q's in 4 1/2 hours...Did manage to work a few DX stations...PJ2,ZF2,XE2, G
& I.  M5O called me and I worked G4IIY and IQ9IU (who had a tremendous
signal ). Also got KH6LC but missed KL7 for WAS. Missed EB, SB and PR. Also
missed SK, NL & NWT. I put up a new Inverted L out in the woods and the
vertical section is approx. 75 feet up and at the base of the tree, the ground
slopes down approx. 25 feet so it seems to be in a good location. Have 14
radials installed. I also have a 350 foot terminated east beverage. A 300 foot
unterminated free wire to the NE, and a 900 foot unterminated beverage to the
NW. All 3 RCV Antennas payed off. Even though the band was extremely quiet, it
helped pull out the weak ones from overcrowded frequencies. Did anyone on the
East Coast experience the awesome W6/W7 land condx? I thought they were
awesome....would have been incredible if I had an Amplifier!!