[3830] ARRL 10 VE6WQ SO CW Unlimited LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 14 23:35:59 EST 2014

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: VE6WQ
Operator(s): VE6WQ
Station: VE6WQ

Class: SO CW Unlimited LP
QTH: AB

   CW: 1365   118
  SSB:
-------------------
Total: 1365   118  Total Score = 644,200

This was a tough contest. Didn't start out well. My wife was going to pick me up
so I could get home for the 5 pm local start. Well as soon as I got in the car,
the car wouldn't start. The battery was dead. So while she waited for the
roadside repair I took the bus and got home well after 5pm and had not set up
anything in the shack. Worked a few JA's and the band closed by 0130z. This
year I decided to go unlimited. Each morning the bandmap was filled with
European mults but I could not hear any of them. On Saturday morning only
managed to work a couple of EA's. In the afternoon I worked a weak OH8 and a YO
who must have been using a remote transmitter. The strong auroral oval combined
with low power made it difficult. On Sunday morning managed a handful of
stations in Eu (10 mults) but had to beam at 120 deg in order to hear anything
and signals were just above the noise. So my mult this year was lower then last
year.
Propagation to the US was good and had several good runs. Missed only North and
South Dakota in the US. Also missed PEI and VE4 that I saw spotted.

Equipment ICOM IC-7600 and ProIII
Antenna 3 ele SteppIR at 45 ft