[3830] ARRL 10 W9XG(K2DRH) SO SSB Unlimited LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Dec 15 01:15:29 EST 2014

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: W9XG
Operator(s): K2DRH
Station: K2DRH

Class: SO SSB Unlimited LP
QTH: IL

   CW:
  SSB: 1146   149
-------------------
Total: 1146   149  Total Score = 341,508

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Used to love this contest but had not done it since 2001. About an hour before
the start K0XG and I discussed trying to surpass the Central Division MS LP
mark with the W9XG call used in 2001 for the current SOLP Central Division
record. When that plan fell apart, decided to switch to the new SOULP SSB
category since I’d already started using packet spots. Big difference between
having a 4x6el KLM stack and a tribander on separate towers in 2001 and my
present high tribander and a low 4 el on the same rotating tower. After a
lackluster Friday night when the band totally collapsed in less than an hour,
it was pretty much impossible to keep a run freq on Saturday morning after Eu
came in, and even then few would call, so it was mostly an S&P effort. Big
Es late Saturday night but hardly anyone around to work it! Remember working a
lot more stations on Meteor Scatter in the past too (Saturday was the peak of
the Geminids). Sunday I followed WB9Z’s example and fared better by going
higher in the band. Interrupted twice on Sunday by visitors and by ZL1RS on 6M
(no way I was going to miss that DX opportunity!). Need more antennas in
different directions!