[3830] ARRL 10 K4XL SO CW Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Dec 15 09:46:06 EST 2014

                    ARRL 10-Meter Contest

Call: K4XL
Operator(s): K4XL
Station: K4XL

Class: SO CW Unlimited HP
QTH: Lynchburg, VA

   CW:  419   140
  SSB:
-------------------
Total:  419   140  Total Score = 234,640

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I entered as HP but operated most of the contest with just 150 watts.  Since I
(stupidly) decided to do S & P only, I used the amp only if I didn't work a
station on the first several calls. So, I would estimate that I was low power
for about 80 percent of the time.  I learned that high power isn't necessary on
10 in the mid-50s when you could work the world on a Heathkit DX-35 if the band
was open.  Conditions were far from as good as then, but low power seemed to
work pretty well.

Knowing that I had a limited operating time, I set a goal of 500 Qs and 100
mults.  I did better on mults, but fell short on Qs due to lack of BIC time.

This was the first test for a new SteppIR DB-18E and it was fun to be able to
push a button and go from working Europe to working California.  This was also
the first time that I have not used a 4 element yagi and I really think I could
tell the difference. Just a feeling, but still.....

This is a fun contest and I hope this sunspot cycle defies the predictions and
we get another year as good as this one for 2015.