[3830] TBDC KA1J Single Op QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 28 14:10:47 EST 2014

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: KA1J
Operator(s): KA1J
Station: KA1J

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: SE Connecticut

Total:  QSOs = 165  Total Score = 1,137

First off, my thanks to all the ops who patiently pulled my call & section
out of the mud. QRP on 160 can be tiring; I could work maybe 75-80% of the
stations I heard during the best propagation. It's difficult to hear so many
people I always Q with in a contest, not hear my signal. For sure, QRO is more
satisfying in terms of completion.

One big gripe I have is when running S&P, many people do not indicate they
received the information and simply return to calling CQ immediately. This
isn't an ego thing on my end, some people tried multiple times to hear my
report & I don't know if they just gave up on the Q and went on to find a
more copyable one. If they sent a R or TU, 73 I'd know its in their log. I just
hope I'm not submitting Qs that the other party gave up on & didn't let me
know; if so then that penalizes me and everyone this happens to once the logs
are checked for accuracy.

The eternal bane on my end is Amtrak 75' from my Tx & RX antennas; Their
overhead 15KV power lines are constantly arcing and the arcing when trains are
passing is 20 over, most often in the middle of receiving QSB signals...

73 & Happy New Year to you and your family,

Gary
KA1J