[3830] TBDC K4LY Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 28 17:29:20 EST 2014

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: K4LY
Operator(s): K4LY
Station: K4LY

Class: Single Op HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs):

Total:  QSOs = 127  Total Score = 942

After my Flex 5000 died recently, I thought maybe I'd operate QRP using my Flex
1500 for the test matching it with my new Dell Inspiron 11 3000
notebook/computer.  Something was awfully wrong, with the first (and other?)
characters clipped so that my calls and reports were understood only after many
repeats.  I apologize for that and being a slow learner.  I hooked the Flex 1500
up to my Acom 1000 amp, thinking it was conditions, but same problem!  Also, I
couldn't reduce the drive power enough and still drive the amp at less than 150
watts, so I've reported my score as HP!  After just a few QRP and 150W contacts,
I tore down that Flex1500/computer combination and moved an unused Kenwood 590S
and paddle to the operator's position and spent the next couple hours of
operating S+P LP, but mainly reading the Kenwood manual. Did work the Caribbean
stations and as far west as W7RH LP, but Europe was almost non-existent before I
went to bed a little after midnight.