[3830] TBDC W8FN Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Dec 28 20:34:33 EST 2014

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: W8FN
Operator(s): W8FN
Station: W8FN

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: EM12

Total:  QSOs = 49  Total Score = 128

Club: DFW Contest Group

Comments:

I got on for just a few minutes right before local sunset and worked three of
the locals, then did another hour and a half from about 0430Z to 0600Z. I
worked a few PNW guys and several stations in the Midwest but heard no DX or
east coast signals. The 30 foot high by 105 foot wide inverted L with the
Folded Counterpoise seems to transmit reasonably well for what it is, but it's
REALLY hard doing a 160 contest when you simply can't hear.

The TX antenna is pretty much useless for receiving as it produces a S9+10
noise floor at all frequencies. I could hear a few of the strongest signals
using an untuned 43 foot vertical as my receiving antenna and they usually came
right back to me when I called. Unfortunately, there is some sort of local noise
source at a bearing of about 90° or 270° that produces a 20 dB rise in noise
floor from about 1810 to 1840 kHz. I rotated my Pixel loop to null the noise
but found I could hear very few signals with the loop. After about an hour into
the night time operating session I discovered that rotating the loop null off
the noise a bit dramatically increased the strength of received signals. I
certainly hadn't expected the loop to show much directivity on what are
presumably skywave signals, but it definitely did.

My need for sleep quickly overcame my enthusiasm for low-rate S&P and I
threw in the towel at local midnight. Hope I can do a little better in the
upcoming CQ 160 contest now that I know not to depend on the using the loop to
null my noise.

73...
Randy, W8FN