[3830] ARRLDX CW E20AE(W0DLE) SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 16 18:44:37 EST 2014

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: E20AE
Operator(s): W0DLE
Station: E20AE

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Thailand

   40:   22     5
Total:  220    94  Total Score = 62,040

Club: Club Station

Comments:

Thanks to John, HS1CHB for the use of the Club Station E20AE. His hospitality
made an otherwise tedious contest bearable. This was a difficult contest
running LP. Despite wise warnings from N2IC, I had little understanding of US
band openings available here in SE Asia. First night was productive but the
second night here was much quieter because of solar activity.

Thailand is not Japan. Once I figured out that running stations using LP was
out of the question, I began a multiplier hunt. I thought this would be the
only way to post a respectable score from here. Running LP seems more like QRP
even though the station has a TH5 at 20 meters and a full size 40M vertical
mounted high in the air. Operation of the station would be entirely different
in the CQ WW as I would not have to concentrate only on US stations 10,000
miles away. I heard lots of Asia and EU stations in the mix, USA was far more
difficult to come by except for the usual well known big guns.

Aside from mosquitos constantly chewing on me, It was still a good experience.

Chuck
W0DLE
HS0ZLO