[3830] ARRLDX CW VE4VT SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Feb 16 19:44:13 EST 2014

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: VE4VT
Operator(s): VE4VT
Station: VE4VT

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH:

  160:    0     0
Total:  991   328  Total Score = 975,144

Club: Radiosport Manitoba

Comments:

Wow hat a difference between Saturday and Sunday. Conditions sure fell through
the floor Sunday while they were excellent for most of Saturday.

Good opening to Asia of friday night on 10 & 15m. Even 40m was free from
the usual auroral distortion. Unfortunately 80 and 160m were horrible from
here. I never heard a single DX station on 160 despite trying many times. For
all the stations that tried to move me to 160, I gave it a shot. A small sloper
and 10 over 9 noise made it impossible.

After European sunrise on Sunday morning, 20m was hopping over the pole. That
was the end of the good conditions. 10m to EU was very weak and skewed all day
Sunday. 15m was better but not great. 20m to EU was horrible!

Using the cluster for this contest was interesting. I managed to find quite a
few mults just by spinning the dial. Worked Maldives for a new DXCC that was
not spotted and not sure it ever was. Same a YJ0OU on 10m for a surprise late
in the contest. On Sunday it seems everyone is chasing the clusters and unless
you are strong, you will be waiting in a lot of lines. Much better rate just
spinning the dial looking for unspotted stations.

this is such a peaceful contest. No real QRM, lots of room and lots of DX.
Somehow the SSB version in a couple weeks will be a tad more hectic.

Hope to see many of you again next week in the BERU event.

Ed
VE4EAR/VE4VT