[3830] ARRLDX CW KL7RA M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 17 05:47:38 EST 2014

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: KL7RA
Operator(s): AL7IF KL7RA KL7SB
Station: KL7RA

Class: M/S HP
QTH: ALASKA

   15: 1144    58
   10: 1040    58
-------------------
Total: 4193   315  Total Score = 3,948,210

Few signals on the bands Friday morning before the start which was a worry. We
started on ten meters and I stayed way too long even seeking and pouncing mults

just in case it never came back which can happen here. We need the mults on
both 10 and 160 for a good score and there is always the risk one or the other

doesn't produce. Turns out 80 and 160 was absorbed the 2nd night but I did get

a good sunrise gray line to the east coast on topband the first night and then

ten opened at our sunrise for the 58 mults so it was mostly a rate fest to the

end.

The first 24 hours would have been great conditions for the WW as we had 10-40

open to Europe past our sunset all night which doesn't happen often. 2nd night

we had the elusive 1300z 20 meter open to the lower 48 and had some nice runs
during hours that were producing very low rates the night before.

Three ops in somewhat scheduled shifts keep the SO2R position in run mode and
the logging program indicates almost all of the 48 hours was used. Thanks to
Wigi, AL7IF who has as much chair time as I do in his past 25 years of being
part of our team. Thanks to Steve, KL7SB who is somewhat a new member to our CW

crew here in Alaska. He was assigned a lot of the daylight rate hours. Being an

old ITT commercial CW traffic guy like Wigi he did an excellent job for us this

weekend. Added bonus, doesn't eat people food.

Next up NAQP RTTY then our favorite, the ARRL Phone DX where we have the
famous
Dave, KA1NCN who calls everyday to make sure all is well with the station for
his flame throwing take no WB5 prisoners on ten meters. Or as we say here, the

crew will be Dave and the rest of us.

73 Rich KL7RA  North Pole Contest Group   W1AW/KL7  June 18