[3830] ARRLDX CW N3BB SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Feb 17 15:55:58 EST 2014

                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N3BB
Operator(s): N3BB
Station: N3BB

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: TX

Total:  476   102  Total Score = 145,350

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

S/O HP All Band. Part Time
FT1000MP
KW Amp
Two six element yagis in phase for 10 meters (65 and 32 feet)
4 Hours operating time

No antenna at all for 20 or 160 meters so I just dabbled on 80, 40, and 15
mostly S&P. Got on when 10 meters was open to EU, and sat on a freq and
called CQ and ran. Did that until I got tired and stopped. On Saturday,
when I got on, the band was so crowded that the first time I found a little
space (not a lot to start with) was up on 28073. On Sunday, I lucked into a
spot someone had left on 28025, but there was a persistent RTTY signal on
my frequency (28025) off and on for most of the time. The RTTY QRM at times
moved a little higher in frequency (28026) but rarely went away for more
that five minutes.

One of the several interesting aspects of the ARRL DX contest is the power
received from the other station. Usually, the KW stations were the
strongest, but there were times when 100W stations in the same areas just
boomed in. Also, it's fun when the 5W QRP stations are clear and reasonably
loud. There were plenty of times on 10 meters when these guys were super
plentiful. When you get those conditions, it's so much fun.

Nice to hear many radio friends, and after a period of low activity, to get
lots of hellos, etc. Thanks for the fun, and congratulations to the serious
folks who hit it hard and with great skill.

73, Jim