[3830] RTTY Roundup K0TG SO Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 5 20:48:47 EST 2014

                    ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: K0TG
Operator(s): K0TG
Station: K0TG

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: MN

Total:  499  State/Prov = 50  Countries = 18  Total Score = 33,932

Club: Minnesota Wireless Assn

Comments:

I was all set to jump into this on Saturday evening after missing the afternoon
start.  I got 2tone set up on Writelog and it was looking good.  Then when I
got back I realized I had not updated the CTY file, did that and restarted WL
and the fun began.  No buffering on messages going out.  It was working
before!!  To make a long story short, after 4+ hours I got it working with the
help of Joe, W4TV. An option changed on the MicroHam apparently.  Hmmm...  I
never touched that in this process.  Oh well.  I do have some other things to
look into yet.

So the fire in the belly to do as good as I could was quickly extinguished
after that. There was no making up for all that lost time.  I  don't think I
missed much. The bands were acting like the flux was <100 rather than the
300 it was at.  Strange condx I thought.  Just really hard to get a run going
and did not hear the stations from the parts of the US that I thought I should.

Things seemed to get a bit better Sunday afternoon.  I had a pretty good run
going on 165 then on 20 later.  To bad it was just before the end.  I increased
the fun factor by going high power.  It would have been a bit tougher w/o that.

I tried SO Unlimited category.  Packet was not really worth it with the bands
the way they were.

One of my favorite contest, to bad it was cut short with issues.

73, John  K0TG