[3830] NAQP CW N8XX Single Op QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 12 00:53:55 EST 2014

                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: N8XX
Operator(s): N8XX
Station: N8XX

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: MICHIGAN

Total:  265   109  Total Score = 28,885

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Team: NCC/MRRC Team 5

Comments:

Wow! Conventional wisdom didn't see to work.  What was promulgated was to hit 10
15 and 20 for a short time, and drift down to the "money bands" of 40
and 80 fairly quickly.  But 10 15 and 20 were wide open for more than at least
4 hours, maybe more, though skip was mainly to the west.  Did work some SE US
station and KP2 KP4 on these bands, but mainly mountain time and pacific time
folks.

Maybe I stayed on 20 too long, but 40 was long for most of the time when I
arrived (after about 0000Z Sunday) and 80 went long and weak even before I and
the majority of the cacophony of contestants arrived.

160 never really woke up - it went in spurts and fits, long waves of QSB, never
any really loud stations, even in Michigan and immediate surrounding states and
provinces.  Some folks had great ears - heard me even though they were a bit
skimpy on this end.  Others were strong and "CQ'ed right in my face"
as some are wont to say.

Life was too short to stick through the very long and weak times with 80 and
40, so didn't get 10 hours.

Perhaps the massive ejection of the sun, which caused spectacular Norther
Lights on Wednesday and Thursday had something to do with the crummy
propagation?