[3830] NAQP CW K4VV M/2 LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 12 05:22:33 EST 2014

                    North American QSO Party, CW - January

Call: K4VV
Operator(s): K3TN W0YR
Station: K4VV

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: VA
Operating Time (hrs): 7
Remote Operation

Total:  550   199  Total Score = 109,450

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Team:

Comments:

Remote operation of Jack K4VV's FB station, with remote capabilities by Mike
W0YR.

Mike W0YR has made great improvements in the remote operating capabilities
since the 10M contest, with Mumble replacing Skype as the audio server, and a
much faster PC at the operating position used for NAQP CW. Just about snag-free
remote operating.

I got on for the first three hours at the start, Mike operated some in the
middle and then I was able to get back on for a few hours before local midnite.
The remote operation means tuning is limited to bandmap clicking or CTRL-ARROW
N1MM freq adjustment,  so used the RBN spots when not running. That's less
useful than in most other contests, as in NAQP people don't stay on their run
freqs as long - should have shortened the bandmap timeout parameter.

Conditions on 10 early were similar to the 10M contest - far west coast was
meh, with only AZ, CO and MN booming in. 15 and 20 were in great shape.

I always look forward to 40M when it means being able to use a bea, but 40 was
not in great shape - very long, much QRN due to the rain and front moving
through. 80M started out very noisy but the signals came up and it was a very
productive band. The QRN on 160 was very, very high and the signals didn't come
up until right around 0400 or so when I was able to work to the west coast a
bit. That's another odd part of remote contesting - couldn't play with
attenuators or noise blankers at all.

Fun working Hiram in UT and contributed some points to PVRC's quest to wrest
the NAQP Club Challenge Chalice from dastardly NCCC. Thanks to Mike W0YR for
all the hard work and Jack K4VV for the FB Station