[3830] NAQP SSB NX5M M/2 LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jan 19 02:01:02 EST 2014

                    North American QSO Party, SSB - January

Call: NX5M
Operator(s): NX5M KU5B N5XJ KJ5T
Station: NX5M

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: TX

Total: 2741   289  Total Score = 792,149

Club:

Team:

Comments:

Right at the start, not that it mattered at the time, but the top 40 would not
turn back to the west.  KU5B and NX5M spent several hours troubleshooting the
problem while N5XJ and KJ5T manned the shack.  Not being able to turn the
antenna to the northwest would have been a bad situation for us but we were
able to resolve the problem (temporarily) to get us through the contest.
As we moved to 80, now we discover an intermittent receive problem on the NW
beverage.  Still not sure of the problem even after fumbling around in the
woods in the darkness.  Pretty sure it cost us a few qsos so for those W7's
that we struggled with or never did hear, we have an excuse.
10m never was very good here and 15m was never open to some of the areas of
4-land.  80 and 160 never really sounded good down here until the last half
hour or so therefore we did not spend a lot of time on 160.  After being on the
same 80m frequency for over two hours, suddenly some guys shows up talking trash
with brutal language saying, "I am not going to let you work anybody
you...(I will leave the rest blank)".  After two minutes of this I told
him, "I do not have to sit here and listen to this so have a nice
evening". No place but 80!