[3830] ARRL Jan VHF N2NT Limited Multi-Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 20 09:50:49 EST 2014

                    ARRL January VHF Sweepstakes

Call: N2NT
Operator(s): N2NT N2NC
Station: N2NT

Class: Limited Multi-Op HP
QTH: W2

  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  281    60  Total Score = 18,720

Club: Frankford Radio Club

Comments:

First contest from here with 432 capability --  It wasn't easy getting here.
Here's a rough chronology of the path to 432 at N2NT:

Spring 2013:  N2NC buys used DEMI 432-28 xvrtr

Sept 2013 (ARRL VHF):  N2NT/N2NC try to quickly get on 432 by putting a Transco
Y relay on the tower to share a feedline with 6m.  The feedline is old prodelin
1/2" and is need of replacement.  Zero 432 qsos.  N2NT says 432 RX sounds
deaf.  N2NC later confirms that the RX is indeed deaf.

Nov/Dec 2013:  Buy DEMI 432LNA kit to fix deaf 432 RX.  N2NC self inflicts more
damage to xvrtr while checking out the LNA and spends holiday break
troubleshooting and repairing.  Used 7/8" heliax procured to replace
1/2" hardline and eliminate Transco Y.

Jan 11-12 2013:  N2NC does NAQP CW from N2NT.  Andy asks about putting up the
hardline.  I say we have a few more weeks - no problem.

Jan 17:  In the late morning, N2NC realizes VHF contest starts tomorrow, not in
one more week which was thought after NAQP CW.  N2NT says come over mid
afternoon to try and get the 7/8" up the tower.  N connector on feedline
from the 432 yagi falls apart when Andy tries to connect to the new feedline
run.

Jan 18 (AM):  N2NT climbs tower and fixes N connector.  432 SWR about 2:1 -
good enough for now.  We think the elevated SWR may be due to proximity to 6m
beam.

Jan 20:  31 qsos on 432.

Planning to add 222 by June VHF.

Thanks to N2NT for finding places to put VHF antennas among the primary HF
installation.

- John N2NC