[3830] CQ160 CW K5AF Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 27 07:43:37 EST 2014

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: K5AF
Operator(s): K5AF
Station: K5AF

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: TX

Total:  QSOs = 234  State/Prov = 51  Countries = 7  Total Score = 29,811

Came down with a nasty flu on Thursday, canceled my music engagement on Friday
night, and decided to put in a few hours in the contest.  Just before the
starting time, my trusty HP Win98 machine started squealing.  I disassembled it
and found the PS fan was seizing, and it was an unusual size that would have to
be special ordered.

Undaunted, I pulled out a spiral notebook and started a paper log, stored some
messages in the K3 CW memories, and started in earnest around 2330Z.
Logging on paper wasn’t as painful as I had remembered, I took my time and
was able to avoid excesive dupes.  I found myself tracking mults pretty
effectively and maintained fairly good rates throughout.

Low Points:
- Pounding sinus headaches from the flu forced frequent breaks and naps.
Overslept during a couple of breaks, missing the EU openings both nights.
- RFI from neighbor’s Plasma TV during some of prime operating times, S7-8
noise level.
High Points:
- Pretty decent mult total for time spent…missed AK, HI, ME, ND, and about
half of the Provinces.
- Band conditions generally good, outstanding to JA on Saturday morning, worked
JH4UYB on the first call!
- Was actually able to run about a third of the time, best short-term rate was
6 Qs in two minute span around 0830Z on Saturday morning.

Very modest setup, barefoot K3 to an inverted L, 27.5’ vertical, 110’
horizontal that droops down to about 10’ off the ground on the far end, FCP
ground system.

Thanks for the Qs,
Paul, K5AF