[3830] CQ160 CW V31NN(N5OT) Single Op LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jan 27 09:59:36 EST 2014

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: V31NN
Operator(s): N5OT
Station: V31OT

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: Belize

Total:  QSOs = 443  State/Prov = 52  Countries = 47  Total Score = 186,598

After realizing in past years that V31OT was made up of too many dashes and not
enough dots, I had the unexpected pleasure, thanks to a collision with Customs,
of meeting the Public Utilities Commission personally to bring my import permit
into compliance, and taking the opportunity to exchange my old call for a new
one.  It was a lucky break that a short two-of-the-same-letter call was
available: V31NN.  This got my little trip off to a great start!

On the downside, it set me back a whole day.

I arrived at my station location with 6 hours to get the antenna up and the
station set up, and it was pouring rain.  This was unfortunate because the
antenna really wasn't tuned up yet, and I had hoped to get it tuned up before
the contest - the top loading wires had not been trimmed to length �" but
the rain and wind made for too-slow going.

I was not to get the antenna adjusted before the sun went down.  Since it
loaded okay with the tuner, I got on the air and it was tough going (I figured
it would be, with only a mobile rig and a 40 foot tall antenna).  I finished
the first night with 103/33/11 and got more sleep than I probably should have.

Saturday, I enjoyed a pleasant tropical day and found the hours needed to get
those top loading wires sorted out.  Before the sun was down I was calling guys
in the USA and they could hear me.  Note to self: getting the current to the
base of the vertical is really important!

The second night I had a whole lot more fun �" sleeping less, and
finishing with 443/52/27.  I am constantly impressed by this Icom 7000!  Now
it’s all dismantled, back in the cases, and ready for the trip home.