[3830] CQ160 CW K5XA Single Op Assisted HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Jan 28 18:51:39 EST 2014

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: K5XA
Operator(s): K5XA
Station: K5XA

Class: Single Op Assisted HP
QTH: Kerrville, TX

Total:  QSOs = 36  State/Prov = 22  Countries = 2  Total Score = 2,088

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Rig : Elecraft K3/P3

Amp: Ten-Tech Titan

Antennas : F12 C31-XR at 128'; F12 C31-XR at 81' Fixed 44°;
           F12 Mag 240N@ 137'; 1/2 Wave 80M Sloper > 45°

SOAPBOX: We had kids from Austin over for a belated Christmas, so contesting
was not a high priority. Plus the station is not 160M capable (or at least I
thought not). But I had installed the Viking MB-V-A tuner, and thought I'd give
it a try with the 80M half-wave sloper. And it worked a little bit! Just
S&P, and worked who I could hear (and who could hear me in return),
spending a couple of hours. The only DX I worked was KP4 and VE. So I'll throw
these 36 Q's into the pot, hoping it'll help the cause. And now maybe I'm
wondering what I need to do to get more 160-radio-active! Maybe more
radio-active PERIOD!