[3830] CQ160 CW PJ2T Multi-Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Wed Jan 29 00:06:29 EST 2014

                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW

Call: PJ2T
Operator(s): K8ND W8WTS
Station: PJ2T

Class: Multi-Op HP
QTH: Curacao
Operating Time (hrs): 26:44

Total:  QSOs = 1225  State/Prov = 58  Countries = 71  Total Score = 1,568,898

Jeff K8ND and Jim W8WTS, both members of the Caribbean Contesting Consortium,
operated PJ2T. This was the fifth time that we operated as a multiop team for
CQ 160 CW from the CCC club station at Signal Point, Curacao.

Our station consisted of a K-3/P-3 and AL-1200. The transmit antenna is an
inv-L, approximately 50-feet vertical and sloping up to approximately 95-feet.
The receive antenna complement was two beverage antennas (Europe 1000-foot and
USA/JA 635-foot) and one DX Engineering active receive four square. This has
been our standard antenna configuration for several contests.

We had a set of four Software Defined Radios (3 x SDR-IQ and 1 x Perseus)
running CW Skimmer on two laptops. Each receiver had a different receive
antenna, with our "ridge 80-meter inv-V" serving as the antenna for
the fourth Skimmer. The spots from each of the Skimmers were aggregated by a
local instance of VE7CC’s CC Cluster.  WriteLog received spots from the dx
cluster network (NA and SA spotters only) and from the local CC Cluster
aggregator.

Conditions were fair the first night, working a mix of Europeans and K/VE and
14 JA stations. Our start was slow, missing our QSO total goals for the first
two hours. It was clear that many NA stations were having more difficulty
working Europe than the norm. Signal strengths from Europe varied from noise
level to S8 or more. The first JAs popped out with strong, clear signals, but
by the end of the JA run, signals were hard to copy. As the sun rose, we worked
a few trailing NA stations with good signals.

The second night also started slow, with sub-goal QSO total for the first two
hours. Overall, the second night brought higher noise levels and more
difficulty maintaining rate to Europe. The Europeans had far more of a
challenge hearing us on night two. We found the need to send the European
station’s call several times to ensure that the ops knew who we were
answering. No JA QSOs were logged the second night. Although we started calling
several hours before the contest end at 2200Z, we made no QSOs on Sunday evening
in full daylight. At the contest end, we had logged 911 NA, 270 Europe, 20 Asia,
and 24 Rest of World QSOs.

Through challenging conditions, we managed to complete a competitive score and
had a great time doing it. We appreciated everyone’s patience, gentlemanly
operating, and attention to logging accuracy.