[3830] ARRL Jan VHF K1TOL Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Jan 30 21:26:56 EST 2014

                    ARRL January VHF Sweepstakes

Call: K1TOL
Operator(s): K1TOL
Station: K1TOL

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: FN44

  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  239    74  Total Score = 17,686

Great scatter signals late Sunday morning into W3/W8/W9 areas for a few hours.
Most of the stations were on CW though.
Best DX was one qso in FL and two in AL.
Heard the K0KP/b in MN constantly for 4-5 hours Sunday morning but only worked
a few WI and three Western VE3s near Lake Superior.
Seems the JAN contest dwindles in perceptible activity each successive year
now. I believe that ARRL needs to "rethink" WHICH weekend is best for
Winter ES (like the 1st or 2nd weekend, period!).
Stopped contest at 1 PM, Sunday, for other activities...so missed the final 10
hours. But I gather there were no Es nor any sustained scatter periods for the
remainder of the Contest anyways.
Life goes on outside of a VHF contest, eh?!