[3830] IARU N5DO SO Mixed LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jul 14 11:03:51 EDT 2014

                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: N5DO
Operator(s): N5DO
Station: N5DO

Class: SO Mixed LP
QTH: TX

  160:
   80:    25     0      5        2
   40:   291     0     24       20
   20:   463   149     34       44
   15:   218    60     23       33
   10:    21    15      9        6
-------------------------------------
Total:  1018   224     95      105  Total Score = 833,200

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Good weekend.  I always like the WRTC / IARU combination.  It is relatively easy
to operate for 24 hours when you have a full night's sleep, wake up in the
morning, and begin the contest for 24 hours.  Not like the contests where you
have a full nights sleep, wake up, go to work, come home, eat supper, and then
begin the contest and try to go for 24 to 48 hours.

I treated the WRTC competitors like mults -- if I heard one I went out of my
way to work them.  I printed out the list of call signs and band/modes and
carefully marked the first one I worked.  I realized this was not going to work
for the rest of the contest (too much time would be spent putting an X in the
little boxes).  At the end of the contest I checked and I had worked 155 WRTC
competitors on the various band modes, but somehow didn't get a single one with
N1P.

Although 10 meters did not seem particularly good, and I didn't do much on 80
meters, the other bands were great.  20 meters was open all night and I felt
strong on 40M.  Other than US stations, I worked a lot of JAs -- 44 on 40
meters and 40 on 20 meters.

I would like to add my congratulations to all the WRTC teams.  They all did
well and made a great showing, especially when you consider they all were
running low power to a low tribander and dipoles.