[3830] IARU N8II SO Mixed HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jul 14 16:53:05 EDT 2014

                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): ~16.5

  160:     0     0
   80:    50     0      4       11
   40:   160     0     19       24
   20:   549   100     31       36
   15:   372   139     27       34
   10:    24    33     12       11
-------------------------------------
Total:  1155   272     93      116  Total Score = 1,153,471

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I woke feeling rather unrefreshed at the start and had to deal with using my
TS-590 which I have not used much in contests. A new PW-1 amp also exposed some
feedline problems which it is very sensitive to, so there is work to be done. By
3 hours into the contest, I really felt like a break was needed, so took almost
an hour to walk the dog. 15 was in good shape from west Asia to EU, rather poor
into the far east. This is one of the few years in IARU when it was possible to
work EU through the day on 15 with good signals, especially from Russia and
Ukraine. Although 15 was far from dead, EU activity after 19Z really slacked
off.
I never heard any EU on 10 direct pat except for a EA I didn't work. But, it
was nice to work 6V, ZR, and HQ station V55HQ and work a few big gun HQ
stations on scatter beaming exactly over Brazil. I never heard a JA on 15,
quite strange, but RT0F was loud around 23Z.
20 was the work horse from 20Z onward and was loaded with EU activity. In the
21 and 22Z hours, 20 was open well from JA right across to western EU with many
rare Russian zones calling in as well as BD1 and some Middle East stations. I
finally started feeling pretty comfortable and had plenty of callers. One
glance of the last 10 rate meter showed a rate of 284. Such rates are only
possible with good conditions and no real exchange info to copy. The activity
level from Russia and Eastern EU was simply amazing the whole contest, I never
have worked such a high percentage from that area in a world wide DX contest
before. There was not much of a drop in activity on 20 CW even during the
middle of the EU night which has always occurred in past IARU tests. By 0345Z,
Russians were hitting a long extended peak on 20 which lasted until about 05Z
with strong signals from much of EU still in at 0525Z when I went QRT.
I was antenna hampered on both 40 and 80, but spent time trying to log WARC
stations who were skipping over on 20 and up basically all the time here and
nearly impossible to work. They were easy to work on 40 and 80 also although a
bit weaker. Signal strengths were roughly equal from all of them as it should
have been and they all did a good job of running their small pile ups.
Many thanks for all of the QSO's; there was plenty of EU activity to go around.