[3830] AlQP W4AN/M(K4BAI) SO Mobile+DriverCW LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jun 8 16:27:51 EDT 2014

                    Alabama QSO Party

Call: W4AN/M
Operator(s): K4BAI
Station: N4DTV/M

Class: SO Mobile+DriverCW LP
QTH: 18 AL Counties
Operating Time (hrs): 9:40

  160:    0     0
   80:    0     0
   40:  386     0
   20:  461     0
   15:    0     0
   10:    0     0
--------------------
Total:  847     0  CW Mults = 45  Ph Mults = 0  Total Score = 76,230

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

FT1000MP, 100W, Hustler 40M whip, 20M hamstick.  A first contest run for N4DRV's
communications van, which Bryan, N4DTV and Ted, W4DUF have been outfitting.  A
nice operating chair and desk with built in monitors.  Van has a gasoline
generator so a.c. and d.c. power are available.  That gave me the luxury of
using my FT1000MP in a mobile QSO party operation for the first time.  Thanks
to KU8E for setting up N1MM for me and for helping by telephone when I had
trouble with the program.  Also many thanks to Davey, AD4NR, who drove all the
way. Bryan was chief engineer and navigator and would have made SSB QSOs if
that had been possible.  As it turned out, I had only 40 and 20M antenna
available and worked only CW.  We got a late start due to difficulties setting
up the rigs and antennas in the van.  We had a 14 county route planned and got
to all those counties plus four others.  Hope we gave a lot of hunters new
counties. QSLs go via K4BAI.  We lost another hour due to a problem with N1MM
when we shut it down at a gasoline stop.  20 and 40M CW were generally good.
Unfortunately, just before the gas stop, we had a bumpy road (Do you know I-20
around Talladega?) and the key line from my keyer to the rig failed and I
didn't have a spare.  So, for the last part of the contest, I had only the
computer to send preset F key messages and I couldn't send anything else.  I
don't know how to change the N1MM logging program into a CW keyboard (like I
would do with NA and CT by using Alt K--when I used Alt K in N1MM, some window
came up and I had to make it go away before I could log anything else).
Anyway, I apologize to those of you that I was unable to greet personally as I
would have done if the keyer line had been working.  Lot of activity from most
of US and Canada, plus a number of Europeans such as OM2VL, DL3DXX, DL3GA,
DK3BN, DL5MU, SM6VR, I1EIS, UA9FAR from Asia, and FG8NY and YV5OIE being more
local DX.  Thanks to the organizers and hope everyone had as much fun as we
did.  Hope to repeat in future years.  73, John, K4BAI.

I think we missed HI, AK, UT, NV, WY, LA, ME, and SD.  In Canada, we worked
VE9, VE3, VE4, and VE7.  That should give us 46 mults, but the program says 45,
so I guess we missed one more, but I can't figure out which one it was.  Maybe
the program may not have counted AL as a mult.  If so, our score would be
slightly higher.