[3830] ARRL June VHF W9SZ Single Op Port QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jun 16 00:10:17 EDT 2014

                    ARRL June VHF QSO Party

Call: W9SZ
Operator(s): W9SZ
Station: W9SZ

Class: Single Op Port QRP
QTH: Illinois

    6:  18     14
    2:   7      6
  222:   6      6
  432:   7      7
  903:   4      4
  1.2:   6      6
  2.3:   2      2
  3.4:   3      3
  5.7:   1      1
  10G:   2      2
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  56     51  Total Score = 5,763

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Sunday only operation. The wind on the hilltop was ferocious this year. It was
blowing at least 35 mph with gusts to at least 45 mph. Since I have
rear-mounted loop Yagis on 902 and 1296 MHz, the wind wanted the antennas to
point in the direction it was blowing, which was to the north. I could not
point the antennas any direction other than about 10 degrees either side of
north most of the time. My method of using vise grips to hold the mast steady
in one direction often failed, as a wind gust would cause the vise grips to
snap open or come loose from the mast. I did manage some QSO's to the southwest
and southeast on 6m. It was a fight to point the antenna. I almost lost the
antennas several times.

I heard a lot of stations I could not point the beams at. Sorry to N4QWZ, W5ZN
and a few others who I heard but could not point my antennas at you.

73, Zack W9SZ