[3830] ARRL June VHF N4OGW Single Op Port QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jun 16 00:39:48 EDT 2014

                    ARRL June VHF QSO Party

Call: N4OGW
Operator(s): N4OGW
Station: N4OGW

Class: Single Op Port QRP
QTH: MS

    2:    9     8
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  219    67  Total Score = 14,672

Club: Alabama Contest Group

Comments:

This was my first entry in a VHF contest. I operated portable from Little
Mountain, MS. Little Mtn is 600 ft elevation, about 150 ft above surrounding
terrain. It is also a stop on the Natchez Trace Parkway so I got a lot of
visitors to my site during the weekend. Each day I set up and took down the
station. The weather was quite nice for June in MS.

For both 6 and 2 I used a K3 running on battery power with 10W out. The antenna
on 6 was a 5 element yagi hanging from a tree about 25 ft up. The antenna on 2
was a 9 element yagi up 15 ft on a mast. Saturday was very slow, although
finally there was an opening to the southwest on 6m. I could pretty much always
hear some stations on 6m, but often they could not hear me at all with 10W!
Sunday was much better, with a very good opening to the NE when I was able to
run stations. I heard but couldn't work an EA8 station on 6; best DX on 2m was
about 250 miles. As I was kind of in the middle of nowhere, I missed my own
grid on both bands.

A very nice weekend - thanks for all the contacts! Tor N4OGW