[3830] TBDC KV4FZ Single Op HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jun 22 17:07:34 EDT 2014

                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge - Summer

Call: KV4FZ
Operator(s): KV4FZ
Station: KV4FZ

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: U.S.  Virgin Islands

Total:  QSOs = 52  Total Score = 429

My apologies to those who called me and I could not get them in the log. The
Tropical QRN was bad enough but I also had an incessant click machine of
another local near by who made copy impossible for weaker NA stations. Even
moving up the band to 1838 helped for a while but when he move up as well it
was back to the same problem. I asked the station to move back to where he
started on 1818 and he kindly agreed.I can live with a 10 KHZ split but
certainly not 4 Khz. By listening on my EU Beverage I was able to log fifteen
10 pointers or above but no NA stations were audible on this antenna. I thought
about working split and asking for a QSX on 1840 but such operations are
normally frowned upon during contests due to the confusion they create.
However, this probably would have worked for me in the Summer Stew because so
few stations were active.

I think despite all the problems the band was open but the event was not well
publicized so not many top banders were aware of it.  The SP is one of the very
few contests I operate. Looking forward to the pre-Stew and the big one.