[3830] All Asian CW W2UP(@W0DLE) SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Jun 23 15:06:22 EDT 2014

                    All Asian DX Contest, CW

Call: W2UP
Operator(s): W2UP
Station: W0DLE

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: CO
Operating Time (hrs): 11
Remote Operation

   80:    1     1
   40:   61    32
   20:  248   119
Total:  516   249  Total Score = 128,733

Club: Grand Mesa Contesters of Colorado

Comments:

Condx were poor at the start - weak signals, QRN from thunderstorms a few
hundred miles away - you know, the usual summer condx.  I was expecting maybe
200 QSOs total, but things improved as time went on, except for the
thunderstorm-related QRN.  My final score was about the same as last year.  On
Fri night (local) I was ready to call it a night, but then 15m reopened about
0330Z with LOUD Jas for about 30 minutes.  I heard N6RO CQing on 10m on
Saturday, but never heard any other signals on that band.

My operation on Sunday was curtailed ahead of schedule by a wide-area Internet
outage.  I operated remotely using W0DLE's station, located about 80 miles to
my southwest.  We both lost Internet connectivity for several hours, so that
was the ballgame.

Used a TS480S (200W) remotely.  The workhorse antennas were a single TH7 to JA,
a TH7 stack to western Asia (a tough path from here), and a 2 el phased array on
40.  Worked most of what I heard, with the exception of a number of Chinese
stations who appeared to be alligators - loud here, but no response.

Thanks again to Chuck, W0DLE, for use of the station.

It would be nice if there were a LP category for non-Asians...

73,
Barry W2UP