[3830] ARRL FD WU3U 1C QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Jun 29 19:46:13 EDT 2014

                    ARRL Field Day

Call: WU3U
Operator(s): WU3U
Station: WU3U

Class: 1C QRP
QTH: SNJ

   20:  124     1
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------
Total:  376     1       0  Total Score = 3,765

Hello all,

Hope everyone had a fun Field Day!

Actual score for WU3U, 1C SNJ = 3765 (raw score) plus 450 bonus points = 4215.

Bands seemed pretty good, with 6 meters DOA as usual and 10 barely open at all
- at least when I was on it.

15 meters was marginally open on Saturday afternoon here.  On Sunday morning -
the 15 meter opening was much more intense with very strong signals into SNJ.

I operated QRP from my truck, using an a large, size 8D deep cycle battery that
was charged prior to the FD operating period in order to qualify for the 5X, QRP
power multiplier.

Rig was a now ancient FT 100D and the antenna  was a High Sierra HS 1500
screwdriver (also ancient but still works fine!).

The location was a small island in the SNJ section called Fortescue.  Fortescue
is located practically IN the Delaware Bay and is a tiny recreational fishing
and crabbing summer spot.

There is a place where you can park right on the Delaware Bay, placing you
literally feet from the salt water, with a wide open,  160 (or so) degree take
off in front of you.

Down the Bay in one direction is about due south, directly off your nose is due
west, and along the bay in the other direction is about NW or so - this makes
for a great, unobstructed takeoff for RF over a salt water ground plane in the
directions where most of the other FD stations are located relative to the SNJ
section.

Other paths due north, east, and southeast are over salt water marshes with a
bit more obstruction from some trees and swamp grass, but still offering
excellent takeoffs for RF - this spot is the best Field Day location I have
found in this area in terms of its being an excellent RF environment.

There have been years when I did in excess of 900 contacts from this location,
using 80 watts or so into a screwdriver antenna.

This year, I tried QRP.  Even with the great location it was rough at times.  I
estimate that about half the time I had to make repeats of my call and info -
especially at night on 40 and 80 when the summer static was worse.

It was much easier sailing on the 15 and 20 meter bands (antenna being much
more efficient there), and most of the time my five watts was heard on the
first or at most second call with few repeats needed.

On 40 meters, I was heard pretty easily most of the time, except well after
dark when the summer static really kicked up.

It was gratifying to have a measly five watts heard for 377 contacts and I
thank my fellow hams for copying my sometimes weak QRP signal - with the
efficiency of a screwdriver antenna on the low bands, I know I was radiating
very little RF indeed!

One thing I found out...I can't operate for the full 24 hours like I used to
when I was younger...this year I slept in the bed of my truck for 4 or 5
hours...got tired again around 11 AM EST and decided to call it quits for FD
2014!

Still, had a blast and I trust you all did as well!

73 all!

Tim
WU3U