[3830] ARRLDX SSB VE4VT SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 2 19:25:18 EST 2014

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: VE4VT
Operator(s): VE4VT
Station: VE4VT

Class: SOAB HP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 35:20

  160:    0     0
Total: 1550   355  Total Score = 1,568,745

Club: Radiosport Manitoba

Comments:

Far better conditions than I had expected considering the CME and high Aurora
level. My only regret was not having the beam to use on 20/15/10. With daytime
temps around -25C and windchills below -40, climbing the tower was out of the
question. I did consider it and even went outside and quickly concluded it was
not going to happen.

Difficult to run most of the time and had better rates with S&P. Did enjoy
a couple decent runs.

I couldn't believe the large number of QRP stations I worked on 10 and 15m.
20m was very poor during the day and the best conditions were late evening when
it was open literally everywhere.

40m just made my ears bleed. Everybody jammed into the 7.125-7.2 band was not
pleasant when all of the NA stations were booming, it was near impossible to
pick out the DX. It was just amazing how strong the DX was that didn't have to
pass through the aurora zone on 40m. North Africa and Spain were booming, Most
of Europe was barely detectable. Smae going to Asia and the Pacific. If we
could just turn down the Aurora.

Also frustrating to hear our friends on the east coast working EU when it there
was nothing to be heard here. That extra hop makes a big difference.

Probably had close to 80 zero point QSO's from US stations that figured Canada
was DX. I figured it was just easier to log the contact then try to explain the
rules of the contest.

Was this the peak of the solar cycle and it is downhill from hear?

Almost looking forward to the peace and tranquility of the BERU CW contest next
weekend.

73 Ed