[3830] ARRLDX SSB W4IX SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun Mar 2 20:59:04 EST 2014

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: W4IX
Operator(s): W4IX
Station: W4IX

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: SC

   10: 1001    98
-------------------
Total: 1882   369  Total Score = 2,082,369

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

Wow! First time ever over the 2 million point mark from my station. Bands were
pretty awesome...Tried to get voice messages playing before the start, but just
couldn't get N1MM to play back the proper recording. I even had a nice recording
of N1MM calling CQ, radio keyed up nicely and sounded great, just couldn't get
my recording through..oh well, I had to rough it once again!! It was hard to
find places to run on 40-15 meters..160 was just ok...managed to work CU2 for
my only Q close to Europe..Heard II9P but couldn't make the Q..did not spend a
lot of time on the low bands knowing I had to get the most out of 15 and 10
meters ( My Money Band!! ). Only issues I had on the bands were the Big Guns up
north and west that acted like they could not hear me on a freq and just popped
in and started calling cq contest ( K3ZO stole my nice run freq on 28312 Sunday
morning )...and then I was on 15 meters trying to make a few Q's and slipped in
at the low end of 15 about 2 KC's above WE3C, started running and even had a
few replies, then someone came on my freq and just said " you need to QSY!
"...no respect for low power stations..can you imagine if everyone gave you
a 3 KC gap on the bands...Yeah right..I have a box of tissues for the guy who
told me to QSY!!  LOL Any ways, it did not dampen my spirits, I just moved
right along and kept grinding out the Q's. Was a nice surprise on Saturday
night, I was getting ready to shut down for the night and get a little rest for
a strong finish on 10 & 15 when the Sun came up, I tuned 20 meters for a few
last S&P Q's and came across a loud pileup on A92HK and was thinking "
how am I going to work this dude with 100 watts and a TH7 at 40 feet "
well I managed to get him!! Yeah buddy!...and 10 meters...wow! I think I had 2
or 3 HZ1's call me while running! awesome stuff..Sunday afternoon when the JA's
started rolling in was awesome. I heard BG2AUE on Sat. night but he was weak and
I didn't stand a chance, but Sunday...managed to get him, the YC9 and the
FW5..still fought to make the Q's but got them anyway. And Kudos to Dave,
KH2/N2NL for being there for one last time..He had such an awesome signal on 10
and 15 meters you would think he was back in the States..73's my Friend and we
will work you from your next location(s). 73's and thanks for all the Q's.
Thanks to the ARRL for making this happen.
RIG - IC765 barefoot
10M - 5 ele 30yr old 105BAS @ 45 feet and TH7 @ 40 feet.
15M - TH7
20M - TH7