[3830] ARRLDX SSB W1TJL M/S HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 3 10:16:44 EST 2014

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: W1TJL
Operator(s): W1TJL N1IXF
Station: W1TJL

Class: M/S HP
QTH: East Hartland, CT

   20:  835   108
   15:  760   104
   10: 1117   117
-------------------
Total: 3151   494  Total Score = 4,654,962

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

In a word, WOW!  This was a full time effort that ended up under my call because
the much more famous call of N1MM was home, under the weather.  So we ended up
using W1TJL.  And oddly enough throughout the whole contest I did not get even
1 mention of “Hey! We’re using your logger!  Thanks!” :-)  It was a
combination of successes and Murphy but very satisfying and for me at least,
tiring.

It all started last weekend when Tom, N1MM and I, took a ride to New Hampshire
to pick up my recently acquired but in need of repair Command Technologies
HF-2500 Magnum.  Tom was just getting over a cold but we thought he was past
the contagious point.  Not!  Thursday or so I began with a cough and tickle and
by Friday was all plugged up…  Additionally, the new amp refused to work!
Plugged it in, hooked it up into a dummy load and began to test and almost
immediately had this arcing sound coming from the bowels of it.  Unplugged it
and went back to the TenTec Titan work horse.  Carl KM1H thinks a relay which
was a weak point in these amps is what went…

Spent Friday getting ready and got a txt from Tom that he was just too ill to
come over to attend, at least at the beginning so began the contest at 7:00 PM.
  The station was near perfect.  Everything worked, no glitches and even the
weather mostly behaved.  Had some wind gust at the top of the hill but nothing
much over 40 MPH. (Even though the towers are rated to withstand it, it always
makes me nervous when it is fully extended to 80 ft and it gets windy!)

One of the best surprises were the two new wire antennas I put up this year for
80/75 and 160 Meters.  The 80/75 meter ground plane was beyond my best
expectations.  It really played on transmit but like most verticals it was
noisy on receive.  The beverages are not yet up (BIG priority this year).  But
I was able to work 56 countries from 111 contacts on 75 which is way beyond any
past results.  The 160 meter “C” antenna worked well too and we managed 33
countries and 42 QSOs.

The Murphy side was the head cold I had (one of the worst in years!) and
Tom’s missing presence (although at one point he txt'd and called and told
Rich to run on 15 and not S&P on 10 so we did have his input!)  :-)