[3830] ARRLDX SSB K1TO SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 3 13:35:02 EST 2014

                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: K1TO
Operator(s): K1TO
Station: K1TO

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: FL
Operating Time (hrs): <43

   20: 1100   100
   15:  621    91
   10: 1880   106
-------------------
Total: 4053   437  Total Score = 5,312,172

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

After making over 10,000 QSOs as W1AW/4 during the 7-day period that ended just
3 days before ARRL SSB began, my thought was just to operate ARRL SSB in a fun
way.  Remembering how excellent 10M was during CQ WW SSB 2011 during the first
hump of this double-hump sunspot peak, and given the unresolved noise problems
here locally, I decided to maximize 10M and minimize the low band pain.  Condx
were tough during the W1AW/4 week, with the K-index peaking at 6 and often
above 2, so it was refreshing to have better condx for this weekend.

I really enjoy working JAs (over 1000 as W1AW/4), so instead of going for max
score by starting on 40 to work EU, I started on 10 and had over 100 JA QSOs,
then had close to 100 more on 15 in the 2nd hour.  The opening to the Far East
on our Saturday evening was not good here, though.  Tried a bunch of different
run freqs on 10 & 15 and never got much going.  Only 365 total JA QSOs this
weekend, despite CQing in that direction for quite a few hours.

I never have managed to set up SO2R on SSB, and this weekend was yet another
SSB contest with just one radio.  Thanks to the many ops who willingly tried
another band with me to boost the mult count.

The downside for me in SSB contests is the intense QRM.  Finding a run freq on
any band but 10M was a struggle.  And even 10M was difficult with the frequency
often being taken over by W2s who cannot (or just refuse to) hear us and
immediately generate a pile-up in EU.  I think I got bounced around 8 times on
Sunday.  Then there are the jammers of various types - bursts of tones on 10M,
net operators who think that they own a freq, etc.  Then there are the ops in
various categories who leave a run freq that I unknowingly take over who come
back after I've already made a few QSOs and battle to get it back.  Had
particular struggles with ops in NY and VT, the former of whom decided to QRM
me from 800 Hz below relentlessly and the latter of whom said something like
"OK, we can battle it out".  Sheesh.  Not the ham radio spirit at
all.

The real highlight of the SSB contests is the ability to say hello to friends
around the world.  Thanks to everyone, including those in rarer countries, who
took the time to work us Americans, especially on multiple bands.  Those things
absolutely override the downsides and keep me coming back for more SSB.

Having made over 17,000 QSOs in the past 16 days, it's time to rejoin the real
world and leave the radio off for a while.  May have to skip WPX SSB, meaning
that the next contest on the calendar is the FL QSO Party at the end of April.

vy 73, Dan

P.S.  Fine scores from K4XS Unlimited up the road from me and from VY2ZM who
deserves his own category, as well as the growing K3LR dynasty.