[3830] WiQP NE9U Multi-Op Mobile LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Tue Mar 11 01:27:19 EDT 2014

                    Wisconsin QSO Party

Call: NE9U
Operator(s): NE9U KK9K N9BCA
Station: NE9U

Class: Multi-Op Mobile LP
QTH: WI

  160:
   80:   33      4
   40:  307     28
   20:  410      0
   15:    6      0
    2:          20
  UHF:
--------------------
Total:  756     52  Mults = 68  Total Score = 167,028.0

Club: Central Wisconsin Radio Amateurs

Comments:

Originally our plan for 2014 WQP was to try the M/M category.  But with the
crappy cold weather in Wisconsin, we could never get motivated enough to work
on our vehicle or antennas.

So we ended up using the same antennas we used last year.  KK9K just bought a
"new" used K3, so we decided to use it.  We also decided at last
minute to use a different vehicle with more leg room for the back seat
operator.  Trouble was we didn't test either out until about 2 hours before we
left for our trip north on Saturday morning.  The vehicle had pretty bad spark
plug noise.  But the K3 noise blanker seemed to do a pretty good job
eliminating it.  40 and 80 seemed pretty dead, but it was noon Saturday so we
assumed it was just mid day propagation.  So off to the Northwoods we went!

Got to the cabin, turned the heat on and went back to town for our traditional
Steaks.  Steak place was closed until fishing season opens in May!  Only other
option unless we wanted to drive 30 miles was the local bar and grill.  They
had pretty good burgers and KK9K hit the $100 jackpot on what I'm sure was a
legal game of chance.  That paid for our night!

We went out for breakfast Sunday morning and then made the 30 minute trip to
our starting line.  Hmmmm....40 still sounds crappy.  20 wasn't too bad
though.

And that's how it was all day for us.  When we got back home we did an A/B test
on the K3 vs. a K2 and s1 sigs on the K3 were 20/9 on the K2!!!  oh oh.  Either
the Rig had a problem on 40 and 80 meters or we had a very serious case of
operator error....neither of us had used a k3 before and we probably had
something in the menu options totally screwed up...it will be interesting to
see what KK9K eventually finds out.  Sorry to those who called us and we
couldn't hear...we were alligators. I'm amazed we worked as many as we did on
40.

Other than that we had our usual fun time.  Weather was good.  Roads were
horrible (bumby...pot holes...etc....)  Worked a lot of DX this year but that
was expected.  Tried 15 meters but didn't seem to be anyone there listening for
us...it sounded good though!  We also downloaded an APRS App for my phone and
people say that really helped in tracking us into new counties.

Well, hope to see everyone in 2015....maybe M/M!!!  This was N9BCA and I's 23rd
year I think.  Year #2 for KK9K with us.