[3830] OkQP AD0DX Mobile Unlimited LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 24 10:05:56 EDT 2014

                    Oklahoma QSO Party

Call: AD0DX
Operator(s): AD0DX AA0RN KD0TXA W0BDY KD0WGG
Station: AD0DX

Class: Mobile Unlimited LP
QTH: OK

   20:     91       96
------------------------
Total:     91       96  Mults = 37  Total Score = 17,670

Due to work constraints we could only be active on Sunday this year.  I had 4
other hams in my van and it was their first time in a mobile contest and we had
a lot of fun.  Because they were not cw operators, we operated mostly phone and
everyone had a turn on the microphone.

Operating the contest were:

Ron, AD0DX
Brad KD0TXA
Aaron, AA0RN (now that is an awesome callsign!)
David, KD0WGG
Ben, W0BDY

We set up so that Aaron, myself and Ben were in the bench seat in the van
behind the driver Brad and his son David riding shotgun.

Aaron was the navigator using a laptop with DeLorme Street Maps, then myself
with the radio and the key, and then Ben with the logging computer using N1MM.
They were both new to each program but being teens that are computer savvy
picked them up very quickly.

We got off to a late start... I guess I assumed the contest started at 9am and
was quite surprised as we were driving towards the OK border from KS at 8:15
and I heard N4PN calling 'CQ Oklahoma'.  Oops.  I had a quick QSO with Paul and
he confirmed that yes indeed the contest had started and so now we were rushing
to the OK border just a little faster.

We worked 2 or 3 stations in North Dakota, which doesn't always happen.  We
worked W1END in NH but very few stations in the 1st callsign district.

I also had a problem with my CW antenna early in the contest.  As I was
changing between the two antennas via the antenna switch, the background noise
went to zero on the cw antenna.  Unplugging the coax from the switch and
plugging it directly to the radio solved the problem.  I'll need to look at
that this week.

We had a great time in the OKQP and hope to be back for a full weekend effort
next year.

I will be W0H in the Misouri Qso Party Apr 5/6th, hope to work you there.

73's,

Ron, AD0DX/m