[3830] OkQP K5YAA(@K5YAA/M) Mobile Unlimited HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 24 11:47:55 EDT 2014

                    Oklahoma QSO Party

Call: K5YAA
Operator(s): W5LE K5YAA
Station: K5YAA/M

Class: Mobile Unlimited HP
QTH: 40 Counties

  160:       0      0
   80:       0      0
   40:     171      0
   20:    1087      0
   15:     776      0
   10:      99      0
    6:       0      0
------------------------
Total:    2133      0  Mults = 78  Total Score = 527,622

Club: Oklahoma DX Association

Comments:

Total Score includes 28,500 Bonus Points

Well, another FB State QSO Party in the books.  Gene and I had a
very good time as the mobile performed well with only two or three
minor difficulties.  The laptop needed resetting a couple of times
and we got off course a couple of times too.  Both of those items
seem to happen on every run regardless of preparation.  They were
overcome quickly with - hopefully - only minor irritation to the
stations waiting.

We were in 40 counties - making all but WAGoner on Sunday - we just
ran out of time.  We didn't make CREek on Saturday evening as planned
but made it up Sunday - likely the reason we didn't make WAGoner.
Once behind always behind!

Band conditions were so good on 15 and even 10 meters 40 suffered.
20 meters was the heavyweight but 15 was really a winner which was
a nice surprise compared to prior years.  DX Qs accounted for 26% of
our total QSOs. A grand percentage.  There were times on 15 and
especially 10 when DX signals far outweighed Stateside in strength.
A very special occurrence for a couple of Oklahoma characters in a
mobile unit.  We had European QSOs right up to Saturday evenings
finish - 0056Z - or almost 1AM European time.  Thanks to all the
DX that stayed with us for all of the party.  We hope you got some
new counties out of the deal.

We want to acknolwedge the following DX stations for their tenacity.
All of you had monster signals most of the time and if we missed your
calling on 20 meters hopefully you got us on the higher bands.

Station   Q Count
OM2VL       64
LY5A        52
DL3GA       49
HA8IB       43
OH6NIO      39
YV5OIE      36
UA3AGW      34
DL5ME       32
DL8MLD      27
DL6KVA      23
DL4CW       23
ON4AAC      19
SM5ALJ      16

There were several DX stations that only had a single day to operate
but they made a number of QSOs while the bands were so good.  G3XVR
and DL3DXX come to mind.  Thanks again for so many of you DX stations
for staying in the chair and waiting for us to move from county to
county.

Of course there were many US and a Canadian, in particular, who
"chased"
us all over the 40 counties we ran.  We worked every state except
ND, SD (those Dakotas again) AK, and RI (KI1G never showed up!). All
Canadian provinces except VO, VE2, VE4, VE8 and VY1.  VE5KS had 41
QSOs with us.  Thanks John for your many calls.

The following stations placed 20 or more Qs in our log.  Thanks folks
for your persistence and for taking time to follow us around. Each of
us who do the mobile thing in these parties count on much from the ops
who plan and execute their chase of the mobiles.  From our end the
pileups are great fun which is what the hobby brings to most of us.

Station    Q Count
N6MU         66
N4PN         53
W1END        37
W1EQ         34
N3RM         34
N2JNE        33
KN4Y         31
K7TM         30
K7VAY        29
W1DWA        28
WA2VYA       28
K3TW         27
W7GF         25
K2DSW        25
N3KR         24
K4YT         23
K8MFO        20

Now a few statistics.

Oklahoma Counties worked - 11 <- we rarely went to 40.
DX Countries worked - 19 <- 10 meters was wide open
Canadian Provinces worked - 6
States worked - 46

These states had only one callsign in our log.
AR - K5KDG
ID - K7TM
NH - W1END
NM - N5PR
HI - K9FD/KH6

Thanks to those ops for representing their states.

Countries worked.
DL, EA, F, G, HA, I, JA, LA, LY, OK, OM, ON, PA, SM, SP
SV, UA1, UR and YV.

The following stations were EASY to pick out of the pileups,
either due to their unique fist or unique sounding transmitters.

W8WVU, DL4CW and N2JNE.

UA3AGW and LY5A had heavy echos much of the time they called.
Made them pretty easy to recognize also.

Some Rates - Here's what you mobile for.
Best 1 Minute - 8/min or 480/hr
Best 10 Minutes - 6.2/min or 372/hr
Best 60 Minutes - 3.6/min or 213/hr

Bonus Point Stations for 3 different bands worked on 10/15/20:
DL3GA, DL4CW, DL5ME, DL6KVA, DL8MLD, HA8IB, LY5A, OM2VL, OM3DX
ON4AAC, UA3AWG, K0DEQ, K4BSK, K6AAB, K8MFO, KN4Y, KO7X, N1API
N1NN, N2BJ, N3RM, N4ARO, N4PN, W0GXQ, W1END, W4YWX, W5TM, W6RLL
W7GF, WA2VYA for 15,000 points

Bonus Point Stations for 4 different bands worked on 10/15/20/40:
VE5KS, YV5OIE, K7TM, KC3X, N2JJ, N6MU, N8II, W1DWA, W1EQ
for 9,000 points

Bonus Points for 5 or more QSOs on 40 or 80 meters - all on 40!
CAN, CRE, GAR, GNT, KIN, NOB, PAY, TUL, WAS for 4,500 points

Gene and I (Jerry K5YAA) want to thank all who joined us in this
year's OKQP.  We had a grand time seeing much of the state and
and worked many times over the years.  Also, a FB thanks to Connie,
K5CM and his crew for organizing this year's OKQP. A thankless
task that requires hours of planning and effort.

My personal thanks to Gene and his XYL for their Saturday night
hospitality which saved me a drive back home.

Best 73, Jerry K5YAA and Gene W5LE

Rig:  The Oklahoma Land Rush Mobile equipped with a K3, AL811H
amplifier, Honda ei2000 and a Tarheel antenna. An older Dell
laptop that keeps on ticking running N1MM Logging. You can see
photos of the setup on my QRZ page.

Note:  I have had reports of "squeaky" CW dits coming from the
mobile.  I have it narrowed down to the amp and am in the process
of finding a Solid State amp that can withstand the mobile
environment of Hi SWR when you motor under a bridge or next to
the dividers on Interstate highways.  Even with the "short" dits
it seems most can copy, even at high speeds, so my search for a
different amp may take a while so I can locate an amp to improve
the sound of my CW.  I love CW, as most of you know, so I will
continue my search.