[3830] OkQP W0BH Mobile Assisted LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu Mar 27 22:25:45 EDT 2014

                    Oklahoma QSO Party

Call: W0BH
Operator(s): W0BH
Station: W0BH

Class: Mobile Assisted LP
QTH: 13 OK counties

  160:
   80:     13        0
   40:    173       10
   20:    389      211
   15:    290      137
   10:     31       10
    6:
------------------------
Total:    896      368  Mults = 71  Total Score = 262,604

Score includes 19500 bonus points.

This year, the OKQP weekend was moving day for my dad in Oklahoma. It was
convenient since I was coming here anyway for the OKQP, so I took six hours off
during the day on Saturday and more time on Saturday evening to help out and
visit. It was very worthwhile from both angles since the move was successful
and I was still able to activate a number of counties which would otherwise
have stayed silent.

I won't do my usual detailed writeup this time but I will offer a few comments.
Band conditions were excellent compared to previous years and other full-time
mobile scores really showed that.  Congrats to Jerry and Connie for putting up
some FB numbers.  Even with a 12 county route and only three new counties on
Sunday (most were repeats), I still averaged 100+ rates over 12 hours with
terrific county line runs to keep the adrenaline levels very satisfactory!

Everything worked perfectly this trip, so no exciting van or equipment stories
(which is the way we like it). The most memorable stop was the WDW/DEW/MAJ
line. The road in can be rather interesting, but it was very dry and just deep
dust and sand this time. Along both sides of the road were barbed wire fences,
and piled up against the fences (sometimes spilling over the fences) were
tumbleweeds. Lots and lots and lots of tumbleweeds!  For once there was no wind
so we didn't see them moving which was probably fortunate.

For me, the most fun in QSO parties (besides the pileups) are the short QSOs
with the ops who follow me along. This time, N6MU was always there along with
N4PN, K3TW, and OM2VL. John/N6MU kept me posted on his attempt at another Sweep
(which he got!). We kept trying for 10m but could never connect even though John
worked other loud stations further east. K3TW/Tom found a good radio channel for
me to listen to Wichita State play in the NCAA tournament on the way home on
Sunday. We actually made it home to see the final 8 minutes (which spoiled my
perfect weekend :-)  N4PN/Paul kept both Lorna and I entertained each time he
called in, and OM2VL/Laci was unbelievably loud on the higher bands. All four
of these ops worked me in all 13 counties (as did LY5A).

Lorna once again took the mic when requested by you all. We both appreciated
everyone who took the time to say hi or make a few comments as we worked. We
couldn't do it without you.

Stats

We operated 11.9 hours, 1362 combined Qs, 299 unique calls, 16 dupes. Lorna
ended up with 98 contacts in her log. In 2013, we had 1466 combined Qs in 17.2
hours, so activity was definately up!

States not worked : AK AR HI ME NV RI SD VT
Canadian mults worked : NB NS ON SK
OK worked : 11 counties : CAN COM MAY MUS OKL OKM PAY ROG TUL WAG WDW
DX worked : 15 countries : XE YV DL EA HA HB I LY OH OK OM ON PA SM UA

Six-hour Rates (W0BH only)

block ----- 2014
------------------------------
1300-1641   386 / 3.7 = 104 Q/hr
2234-0100   303 / 2.4 = 126 Q/hr
1315-1900   591 / 5.8 = 101 Q/hr

County breakdown (in visited order)

01 KAY 85 -- Kay
02 NOB 84 -- Noble
03 GAR 101 - Garfield
04 GNT 106 - Grant
05 PAY 41 -- Payne
06 LOG 37 -- Logan
07 KIN 82 -- Kingfisher
08 MAJ 203 - Major
09 WOO 78 -- Woods
10 ALF 173 - Alfalfa
11 BLA 65 -- Blaine
12 DEW 115 - Dewey
13 WDW 94 -- Woodward
Total 1264 **

Special thanks to the following ops for 10 or (way) more contacts!

57: N6MU
56: K3TW
47: N4PN
42: OM2VL
23: KN4Y
22: LY5A
21: KC3X
20: N8II
18: WB8WKQ YV5OIE
17: HA8IB VE5KS W4YWX
15: WA2VYA
14: K2DSW N2JJ N9WKW
13: DL3GA DL8MLD N3KR
12: KJ4LTA N3RM W1DWA
11: KI0I W4YDY
10: K7ZYV KQ3F N4ARO OH6NIO

OK Mobiles worked: K5CM/m (4), K4ZZR/m (3), K5YAA/m (1)

Consistently loudest signal: N4PN

Bonus Operators

3 band : 23
4 band : 5 - N2JJ W4YWX WA1ZIC WA2VYA WB8WKQ
5 band : 2 - N4PN KC3X

9 counties had 5 QSOs or more on 40/80 meters

W0BH Award Winners

----------------- First Place - Very Honorable Mention --------------
Most overall Qs - N6MU/57 ----- K3TW/56 ------------ N4PN/47
Most CW Qs ------ K3TW/32 ----- N6MU/31 ------------ N4PN/29
Most PH Qs ------ N6MU/26 ----- K3TW/24 ------------ N4PN/18
Most counties --- N6MU K3TW N4PN OM2VL LY5A all 13 !

Special thanks to Connie (K5CM) and Pam (N5KW) for getting another excellent
edition of the OKQP in the books, and thanks to all the mobiles and fixed
stations who made it happen.

The 2014 Kansas QSO Party is scheduled for August 23-24. With 105 counties, we
need all the help we can get, so mobiles, head this way!  Everyone else, thanks
for the Qs in Oklahoma, and see you in the log in Kansas!

73, Bob/w0bh and Lorna/k0why