[3830] WPX SSB AF6GA SO(A)AB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 31 02:48:50 EDT 2014

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: AF6GA
Operator(s): AF6GA
Station: AF6GA

Class: SO(A)AB LP
QTH: Cupertino, CA

Conditions were excellent, so much so that 15m was spilling over the top with
most stations on top of one another causing a lot of QRM.  This made it tough
for anyone trying to hear 100w and wet piece of string.  Eventually figured out
10m was a lot quieter with more room to spread out and easier to get heard.

It was good to hear a few new ones A7, A6 and 9K, too feint for me to work but
at least I know they're really out there now.  Instead happy with 5W, OX, ZF,
UA2, 9M2 - thanks Rich and VP2E for ATNOs.  Working 9M2 just as the sun was
setting in CA after a number of failed attempts on 20 and 15 was the highlight,
it only took 20minutes to go from 33 to 57 to gone.

After realizing it was tough being heard, switched from trying to working
everything to only working band fills, new ones - well obviously - and US
stations for ARRL QP pts.  Watched for spots on worked W1AW/1 and TX6G on WARC
bands - it's a bit easier when the attention of the masses is elsewhere :D

The flare's impact on 15m was severe, I wasn't on at the exact time.  I took a
short break to get a drink and give the ears a rest.  When I came back everyone
had gone,  I leant out to check the wire was still in the air and not on the
floor.  But no - it was still there - so worked the few I could hear before it
came up again.

Thanks to all who dug out the call - looking forward to getting back to RTTY
and working some new ones on cw next month.

73
Phil