[3830] WPX SSB 9A5Y(9A7DX) SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon Mar 31 14:21:07 EDT 2014

                    CQWW WPX Contest, SSB

Call: 9A5Y
Operator(s): 9A7DX
Station: 9A5Y

Class: SOAB HP
QTH:

   20: 1297
   15: 1405
   10: 1218

Club: Croatian Contest Club

Comments:

What a weekend :)

Finally a contest where nothing went wrong or to put it in different  words a
contest where everything went  right and conditions like never before :)

This was my first serious try in SO AB category. So far I have always worked
Single  band category, not because I don't like working at all band but because
I have never so far had a good setup for it.Since the very  beginning I felt
like it was going to be a winning situation and like I was going to make good
results, however 15M I did not expect.

Given the fact that I do not have much experience in AB category, the biggest
problem was when to make a break considering it was going pretty good all the
time. So I decided to work as much as possible USA and the next day I wanted to
 concentrate on 2nd radio and work some EUs prefixes. I think this was a good
tactic based on livescore table. The following day I jumped over one after
another. Probably I could do better score in total if I spent little more time
working East on High bands and some EUs on Lows, but it was easier to copy # on
clear QRG instead on crowded one on 40m. Howewer, this result is 7 Milion above
current 9A reccord and I'm more than happy :)

9A5Y station is not quite ready for top AB contesting and there are still many
shortcomings. The complicated BAND changes has taken a lot of time (4-6 min
each time per change) and also SO2R setup is very primitive so that it was very
hard to work with 2nd station but at least now we know things we must work on in
the future.I can't even imagine the result I would have achieved if I had fully
automated station and more than 100w on the  2nd radio :)

Incredible conditions on High BANDs here, west coast on high bands sounds like
a local's here :)

EQUPMENT:

FT1000MP + KW, FT1000 MV
28: 7el. @21m