[3830] NCCC Sprnt Lad W1NN LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Thu May 8 23:15:19 EDT 2014

                    NCCC Sprint Ladder - May 9

Call: W1NN
Operator(s): W1NN
Station: W1NN

Class: Single Op LP
QTH: OH

   80:  10      9
   40:  18     15
   20:   5      3
Total:  33     27  Total Score = 891

Club: North Coast Contesters

Comments:

Back in Ohio for a few weeks before I hit the road again.  This is the first
time I've been able to get on during this ladder.

Tonight I was testing out a homemade vertical that will fit in a suitcase that
I will be taking with me to SV9 for the WPX CW contest. It consists of 10
30-inch pieces of fiberglass tubing connected together to a height of about 22
feet with two pieces of wire running up inside and out the top and tied off
like guy wires.  One is a 33 foot wire that extends out from the top about
11-12 feet, while the other is a 67 foot long wire, with about 42 feet running
out the top.  It is presently tied off about 2 feet above the ground.  I have
four 0.2 wavelength radials for each band connected.  It's not designed to work
on 20, but just for fun I tried it on 20 and managed to work 5 stations.  I just
put the 80 meter wire in today and didn't know if it would work at all on that
band.  I was pleasantly surprised by the results.

In SV9 my house is on the ocean and the antenna will be as close to the beach
as I can get it, and I will have more radials.  Hopefully it will work better
than it does here.

73, Hal W1NN