[3830] Volta RTTY AB1J SOAB LP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon May 12 20:31:16 EDT 2014

                    Volta RTTY DX Contest

Call: AB1J
Operator(s): AB1J
Station: AB1J

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Waltham, MA
Operating Time (hrs): 9:17

Total:  173    76  Total Score = 28,281,348

Back when I was a kid in the 1950s, there was a fictional TV program called
"The Millionaire"  Every week this guy anonymously gave some
deserving person a million bucks and then the story unfolded about the effect
of the money on the lucky soul (aside from taxes).  Back then a million was
worth, well, a million.  Recently I read somewhere that today's definition of a
millionaire is someone who earns a million a year.  And if they're frugal, they
should end up as billionaires (1000 million for G-land folks).

Whoever would have thought that I'd make a score over 28 million part-time in a
contest?  What would my grandparents say?  What do I say?  Well, I thought N1MM
had gone bonkers, but I guess not.  When I looked at the Volta rules everything
made sense (I mean, sort of).  And to think I labored away the whole 24 hours in
the ARRL RTTY RU last January and only made 69K.  I know where I'll spend my
time from here on out.

This was another contest I did for fun (and profit) because I could.  Plus it's
always good to practice eye-hand coordination, so it was carpe contest for me.

I'm still using a standalone TrueTTY receive window as I've found it useful.
Too bad I can't use it in N1MM.

Thanks for the Qs.

73,
Ken, AB1J

FT2000 N1MM-MMVARI-MMTTY-2TONE TrueTTY Win8
TS940S RCKskimmer XP
20-10m attic dipoles and outdoor 40m stealth antenna