[3830] WPX CW WQ8RP(N8XX) SOAB QRP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Sun May 25 17:03:33 EDT 2014

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: WQ8RP
Operator(s): N8XX
Station: N8XX

Class: SOAB QRP
QTH: MI

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Surprising contest.  Started out with low expectation because two "guest
op" possibilities faded.  So, I was "stuck"with my typical wet
noodle which doesn't put much oomph to my "mighty 5 watts" which is
the power of choice.  However, within a few minutes I heard VK6LW calling
"CQ test" on 10 meters with few takers, so I called him on a lark.
He about blew me out of his chair by answering.  Though 15 meters was the
"motherlode" band, 20 meters held up way past bedtime, which was
quite a pleasant event.  40 was noisy from some nearby thunderstorm, so it was
almost a bust.  The gods of the ionosphere must have smiled upon us during this
weekend!

Tnx to the Michigan QRP club for the use of WQ8RP, an almost unique prefix in
this test for the past few years.  And thanks to the organizers, plus the many
ops who pulled my signal out of the noise level by multiple queries of
"NR?"  As many of my friends have said "Operating with 5 watts
isn't a skill - it's a test of the receiving skills of the other ops."