[3830] WPX CW K7IA SOAB HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon May 26 00:10:00 EDT 2014

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: K7IA
Operator(s): K7IA
Station: K7IA

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: NM
Operating Time (hrs): 12:28

Club: Virden Contest Club

Comments:

Alibi Hour:  pounding headaches made running mode difficult, and backache kept
me out of the chair;  T-storm activity on Friday evening kept equipment
disconnected.

15m was good fun, and most EU sigs were quite loud here on both days. 20m was
disappointing with lots of band noise and QSB.  Many thanks to the ops who
patiently sent serial numbers over and over. 40m was very noisy, and despite
tweaking K3's NR and AGC, the noise simply wore me out.  I hit the sack early
both evenings and skipped setting the alarm both mornings.  My heart was simply
not in it.  Homebrewed bidirectional Beverage xfmrs were finished on Wednesday
and installed on Thursday on the JA/SA wires (an easier chore than on the EU/ZL
wires, owing to rough terrain), and they played as well as commercial xfmrs
borrowed from N5IA;  but they saw only short duty on 80m, because only a few
ops were seen on P3 and heard by ear (but all were worked).  I was hopeful to
work some 160 ops, but whoever might have been there was buried in the QRN.

Not a stellar weekend, but I bettered last year's score with 130 fewer Qs.
Many thanks to all for your patience with me!

Now, back to bed...