[3830] WPX CW NQ4I M/M HP

webform at b4h.net webform at b4h.net
Mon May 26 05:19:47 EDT 2014

                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: NQ4I
Operator(s): AA4LR VE7ZO N4XL W4IX WB5EIN K4TD N4FD K4BAI NQ4I
Station: NQ4I

Class: M/M HP
QTH: Griffin, Ga

   40: 1359
   20: 2293
   15: 2017

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

This is one of my favorite contests. Aside from Memorial weekend, and some
difficulties to get operators, this one will go down in the history books as
another great one. No equipment failures, no antenna problems, just good
"ole time contesting".
160 Meters...we had a number of operators cycle through the seat all through
the weekend. I thought low band activity was not as good as previous years.
80 Meters....Bill AA4LR gets the BIS award in this contest. Did a great job
through all the qrm and qrn and dug out a nice number of calls.
40 Meters...Chief Operator VE7ZO and operating pal N4XL kept the station on the
air for all 48 hours...day time rates were minimal, but over the long run were
worth it.
20 Meters...the Iron Man, Drubber W4IX and new comer Larry WB5EIN stayed in
their seats an unbelievable amount of time and kept 20 meters on the air the
full 48 hours...what a go!!
15 meters..was manned by Rick K4TD and Larry N4FD...the band surprised us all
weekend long with openings at 8Z! And stayed late into the night until 03Z....
10 Meters was manned by John K4BAI...it was very disappointing that the
openings were not very strong and did not last very long...we were all hoping
that conditions would be a lot like the conditions we had in WPX SSB...not to
be.

The weekend was celebrated with good food, good company, decent radios and
antennas to use, decent conditions, and just lots of fun.

We made a very respectable score all things considered...at one time it looked
like we might beat our 2012 score...but not to be....we tied our total prefix
score from 2012, so I don't expect the prefix record to fall...and our claimed
score will not be strong enough to beat the 2012 score from NR4M.

I want to thank all the participants who used the on-line scoring site...it is
so much fun to watch in real time...I spent a lot of time comparing the hourly
rate chart on the site...really shows what is happening graphically.

Now it will be time to take on some antenna installations, repairs, and station
modifications up to the time for CQWW SSB...a fairly aggressive schedule is
projected....lets see how the weather will co-operate. Repairs to the ice storm
damaged KLM 40m 4 element yagi went well, and the antenna performed better than
expected.
Rigs:
160m FT1000MP and Alpha77
80m Orion and Henry 3K (RUN) and Orion and Alpha 78 (Locked Out)
40m Orion II and Alpha 8410 (RUN) and Orion and Henry 3K Classic (locked out)
20m Orion and Alpha 77 (RUN) and Orion and Henry 3KD Classic (locked out)
15m Orion and Henry 3K (RUN) and Orion and Henry 3k (locked out)
10m Orion and Alpha 87A (RUN) and Orion and Alpha 8410 (locked out)

To all who worked us...thanks...please qsl via LOTW.
73's from central Georgia and see you all in the fall for CQWW SSB and CW.

de Rick NQ4I and team.